Thursday, April 14, 2011

Royal Christening

I'm sitting here today with my book, my tea, my knitting project, and watching all the hoopla surrounding the big event of the day: The royal christening of the newborn royal twins.

I'm a little bit of a royalist. I love following the royal family. I think perhaps some of it stems from spending so many years abroad; it just makes following all things Danish so much more special and fun. In 2004, I got to take the day off school (a mental health day..) and all the Danes in the area got together for a wedding-viewing party. We dressed up, had delicious brunch, and watched the wedding on a big projector screen. My favorite part of watching royal events on TV is watching the arrivals on the red carpet and looking at all the fancy dresses and outfits (Kind of like at the Oscars).

Plus, you know, Babies!! Awwww, so cute.

People seem to have alot of varying opinions on the Royal Family and royalty in general. Alot of the arguments are valid enough - like that they use tax money that could be used elsewhere in society or the "why are they so special, their just people like you and me" argument.

To take my academic glasses on for a minute though, I have to pinpoint that it is incredibly difficult to actually figure out the value that they create for Denmark. They function as ambassadors, and personally I think they do a good job and I am proud to have them represent this country. They sell a whole lot of magazines, generate tourism, etc.

And just to get my name guesses/bets/suggestions in writing: I'm thinking Viktor for a boy, and Caroline (Mathilde?) for the girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment