Friday, November 19, 2010

Cool Stuff Campaign

A Danish company is currently running a campaign that I think is pretty much genious. A little annoying, but genious.

Background Story:

This website/company sells cool gadgets and fun stuff, basically random sh*t. (Literallly, their name is coolstuff.dk. It sells all sorts of cool stuff, you should go check it out.) As part of entering the christmas season, they are offering bloggers free gift cards to their shop in return for favorable mention on the various blogs. Depending on the popularity and the traffic on the blog, bloggers (ordinary people like me - or you) get a 100dkk or 200dkk gift card, free of charge*
Now, I don't have enough readers to be able to become a blog-tester, but I am seeing blogs pop up all over the place that have been accepted as blog-testers.They are proudly showing off their purchases, and some even bought a few more gifts online in order to make it worth the shipping fee. PLUS! *Right now, if you spend more than 250 dkk, you get free shipping! (unfortunately, it can't be combined with giftcards, so you would have to buy an extra 250dkk worth of random junk)


Here's why it's genious:

It's the same concept as when regular stores have big sales, or Victorias Secret mails out those "10$ off your next purchase of 10$ or more" -- getting the customer into store is the first step. Once you're in the store, you are likely to buy more than just 10$, or more than just the one item on sale.

I'll admit it, it often works on me. I am a total sucker for sales and advertising/marketing tricks and I'm barely even ashamed to admit it. I go into Victorias Secret, trying to find someting to buy that only costs 10$ (nearly impossible) and come out with some new random purchases.

Honestly. I went to the website to see if I was eligible to be a tester (I'm not), and then got curious about what exactly this company was all about. I started looking around, and actually found myself putting things into a shopping cart. I still might buy something from the site,.... like this MAGNET TAPE!!!! OMJ

all images in this post are courtesy of coolstuff.dk


So, coolstuff.dk, I just gave you free advertising to all of my 5 readers in the US (Hi Mom and Dad!). I also may purchase something from your store in the near future. I've always wanted a snuggie. And a fake plastic cup.


I accept checks and all major credit cards.
Just kidding.
Just Cash.


*Don't even get me started on the whole selling your soul (or your blog) for free gifts, which is just a bit icky, kind of, but.... Don't judge, I'm a poor student. I'd do it. I mean, they aren't even paying me and I just plastered my blog with their stuff.


P.S.This is pretty cool too:

It's a scratch off map! So you can scratch all the places you've been!
Just like the lottery, but much, much more satisfying!



2 comments: