Friday, February 10, 2012

Weltsmertz

I love to read, but I am no booksnob. One of my favorite genres would have to be 'chick lit' - not the heaviest stuff maybe, but perfect for vacations and perfect for a break from academic reading. (My second favorite, currently, are Swedish Crimis). 
And although I have been a fan of the Shopaholic series, (perfect for beach- or pool-side), I have also taken to reading books by Marian Keyes. Her books tend to touch upon deeper issues, while at the same time remaining entertaining and funny. 
Substance abuse. Problems at work. Family issues. Spousal abuse. 
Although certainly not literary masterpieces, they do have a bit more substance than the aforementioned Shopaholic books (where the main character honestly really bugs me). 

It was in 'Sushi for beginners' I was first introduced to the term 'weltschmerz' - and I have often thought of the concept since. It is a term the describes a mental state of taking on all the pain and sorrow of the world, and feeling disempowered at the thought of not being able to save or help everyone. (see wikipedia (the most reliable source) for a definition and resources for further reading). 

I think most people suffer from weltschmertz in some shape or form. It is just another way of feeling empathy and sympathy for the surrounding world. It is when it takes over that it becomes a problem - leading to severe depressions and anxiety. 

And even though a certain degree of empathy is important and admirable, I also believe that weltschmerz can also describe a pessimistic view of the world - of someone who has given up and no longer believes there is anything good in the world. And I feel so sorry for those people. 

to be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment