Monday, February 22, 2010

on life-changing changes in life

Even though I am pretty happy with my life in general (ok, more than pretty happy) there are moments when I feel like my life is still kind of standing still. Most people probably have periods of their life where they feel bored, or feel like they are in a 'waiting-for-something-to-happen-phase." That's exactly where I feel I am. Even though I will be the first to admit how much I love the student lifestyle, I sometimes feel bored... I feel like I should be further in my life. Have a job, travel exciting places, change the world, become an adult.

This weekend, my BFFFF Erin (and her wonderful boyfriend) became homeowners. They now both have full-time big-kid jobs, they got a dog together, and own a home. Oh, and she bought a brand new car. She is officially an adult.

Also this weekend, my (Biffer) Jess told me about the list she just recieved with the locations where she might be stationed very soon. Within the next few months, she will graduate from Intel school and officially be stationed as part of US Air Force. (She falls within the category of 'changing the world'). I hope she already knows how proud I am of her.

So, my friends are moving on with their lives and becoming adults. It's natural at our age (not teenagers yet young enough to still need to get partying out of our system) for people to be scattering all over the place, trying new things, all that jazz. I'm guilty of it too for leaving 'home' to go to grad school. But however good change may be, it is almost never fun nor easy while it is happening.

There's no intelligent conclusion to this post, because I think most people know what I'm talking about. It is difficult to put into words how I can simultaneously be happy with my own life, yet jealous of others lives. Change is natural, people come into your life to affect it in different ways, people change, and thankfully, a few precious things never change.


In other news:
If you don't already, you should check out my friend Cari's blog on social responsibility, because it is a really interesting read.

If you know me, you know that I love the Olympics. Mainly my love is focused on the summer Olympics, but the winter olympics can me a little bit excited as well. So anyway, long story short: Denmark hardly ever has any medal chances at the winter Olympics, EXCEPT in curling. The other day I was watching the men's team play a game against Norway, and the only thing I could focus on were the ridiculous pants the Norwegians were wearing. Seriously? My favorite part is how the rest of the world took notice too.

Speaking of the olympics, how awesomely badass is Shaun White and his Double McTwist? Now, I'm a snowboarder, just not one of the very adventurous ones. It's an accomplishment for me to not fall when I do the little jumps on the side of the slopes. Or, I'll stop kidding myself, it's a pretty big accomplishment to NOT fall when getting of the lift. Shaun White is just Awesome yo.

By the way, I do realize how bipolar this post is.

2 comments:

  1. First, thanks for the shoutout! And I appreciate that you've put my blog in your blog roll over on the right. :)

    Next, I know how you feel about life standing still and all. I mean, I'm looking at graduating 3 semesters beyond 4 years? I thought I'd almost be through grad school by the time I get out of undergrad. Yea.

    And I'm really proud of Erin, too. She's been an extremely fortunate post-grad and I'm happy for her. She's living the American dream.

    However, we can't base our feelings of worth on the "proper" things we're supposed to do at each period in our lives. As long as we're being productive, making a difference, and doing something for the greater good with our time, I'd never say we're failures.

    You're in graduate school. You're not a bum. :) And I know you, Christine. You've been more mature than most people in our age group for a long time. I know you're doing/are going to do groundbreaking things with your life.

    So appreciate what you do now. You have the ability to do important things everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made the blog =) thanks for calling me an adult... Matt and I were just talking about this...and somehow I still don't feel like an adult, ya know?

    I guess by terms of society, I am tho...so are you tho..I mean graduate school is the 'adult' phase of education...

    ps. come home soon!

    oh and thanks Cari, I feel so fortunate to have everything working out for me!

    ReplyDelete