Friday, February 26, 2010

Maryland to recognize same-sex marriage

Can I get a WOOT WOOT for Maryland??
Baby steps, baby steps.... Just like our parents and grandparents could talk of a time of segregation by color, women not being able to vote, etc., I am sure that we will be telling our children about “a time long ago when gay marriage was illegal,” and they’ll be like “whaaaat, why? That doesn’t make any sense!”


(Note that I do realize this new legislation does not mean gay marriages can be performed in Maryland, but it does mean that those couples married in states where gay marriage is legal will enjoy the same legal rights as any other couple. Like I said, baby steps).

2 comments:

  1. I started listening to NPR on the way home from work, and I have to say this is def the hot topic of the week...like you said, baby steps..but everyone has to learn to crawl before they can walk...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. And I think it's important to celebrate those baby-steps, because otherwise the process could feel alot longer...
    I'm glad it's a hot topic over there and not being shushed.

    ReplyDelete