Wednesday, November 30, 2011

'Stop Spild af Mad'

Over the past year or so a campaign to 'stop wasting food' has taken hold of Denmark - and me! I guess I really caught onto the idea when I heard how much food we waste without even really knowing it. I mean, how often do you throw out a little leftover rice, a brown banana, or maybe some old milk? Even though I thought I was pretty good about it, once I started paying attention to how much food goes in the trash, I was a little shocked. And that's just from my own kitchen. When you hear about supermarkets and restaurants, my mind is completely blown....

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to write a little bit about it because it's something that's been on my mind lately. 'stop wasting food' is also a good way to save money on food - because you really try to use everything - thereby saving money. When you're on a fairly tight budget, you try to save any place you can. I know I do. 

One way I've been trying to stop wasting food is to make sure:
  • I save leftovers and eat them for lunch or try to make a second dish out of the leftovers
  • Make sure I use the entire bag/(whatever it is) of something. 
The last part is the biggest challenge. It sometiems requires a little bit of thought and planning to make sure you use the entire head of cabbage (for example) when you bought it to make coleslaw-.... you still have to find something to make with the other half of the cabbage. 

Anyway - this topic will come up again soon!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for mentioning us, Christine! Your blog just got a new reader :-)

    Here are more tips to avoid food waste:

    What can you do to stop food waste



    Act! As a consumer, you have a great power. Consumers have the power over the retailers - the retailers do not have the power over consumers. Consumer power can change the world. Use it.

    In the supermarket: Buy only the amount of food that you need.

    In the kitchen: Cook only the amount of food that you can eat.

    After a meal: If you have leftovers, put them quickly in the freezer
    for another day or in the refrigerator and eat them the next day.

    Shop with your head and not with your stomach. Eat leftovers.
    Buy what you need and use what you have bought.

    Plan your meals. Think about portion sizes. Share food with your
    neighbors.

    Remember to empty your food packaging. Up to 25% of food remains
    left due to the food packaging.

    If you are a gardener: Pick your own fruit and vegetables, instead
    of buying fruit and vegetables in the store.

    In canteens and restaurants: Order only the amout of food that
    you can eat.

    Encourage the food industry to donate good surplus food to charities.

    Join the movements. Encourage food industry to act. Encourage
    politicians to act. Speak up! Stop wasting food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej Selina, tak for kommentaren og for de gode råd. Nogle af dem prøver jeg allerede at følge, men det er altid godt med en påmindelse.

    ReplyDelete