Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Pet Peeves (round 1) - Cutting in line

You know what's really, really annoying? People who don't understand the concept of standing on line.

Let me set the scene.
I'm standing at my local grocery store (Netto). They are notorious for never having enough cash registers open, but since they have cheap food, I deal. It's monday, which is the day their sales start. They always have new items (of the category "crap-you-can't-live-without-(except-not)") and specific food sales that start every monday. The brochure comes out during the weekend, and alot of times if you want to make it in time to buy some of the really good sales, you have to go on mondays. Also, it was about 4:30 PM, right around prime time for the start the after-work shopping rush.

So I'm standing in line (only one line open, out of three possible), and the line is long enough that it has started going down the nearest aisle. Her's the catch. The cash register is placed right at the intersection of two aisles- I'm in the one where a line has formed, and there are several people behind me. As I make it up to the "intersection" or "t-cross" (whatever you want to call it), this little old lady decides to get in line right next to me. Not only is she trying to cut in front of all the people behind me (granted she can't really see them, but she could check...) she also is trying to cut in front of me, clearly standing in line. Being the friendly person that I try to be, but also a hater of line-cutters, I try to tell her that there is actually a line forming behind me.

Her response: "old lady stare of death."

She then moves out of the line and over to the empty cash register. There, she yells at the girl at the open cash register to open another register since she believes there are too many people in line (I guess she was right about the last point). The girl calls someone to open the register and the old lady starts putting her things up, meanwhile sending daggers of death stares of her own at the angry old woman.

So now, she just cut in front og all the ten(ish) people patiently waiting in line for the open cash register! And, she was rude and angry for no reason!

Ugh. In my world, when another cash register opens,  especially in Denmark where they are all very open, you let the people who have already been standing in line have the right of way to the new register. At the same moment that register opened, two people behind me (from the end of the line) immediately ran up to get ahead in line. I blatantly pushed myself in front of them, letting the lady in front of me have the first right of way to the line.

On a some-what unrelated note: I'm starting to get really annoyed at the little old people who go shopping during rush hour and then complain about long lines, crowds, or too few open registers. This old lady was clearly old enough to be retired, couldn't she have gone  to the grocery store earlier in the day, when they are empty? I know it's not always the case that retired people have nothing to do, but I feel it is a common occurence that old people get angry at the grocery store, while the rest of us stand patiently in line - it just takes the time it takes!


The funniest part = the angry little old lady who cut in line? Her purchase: 20 bananas.


/ end rant

No comments:

Post a Comment