Monday, April 26, 2010

on Running?

For as long as I can remember, I have always been an athlete. I was even a pretty good athlete. I never got into team sports, but I was a decent swimmer and runner. Even though the past few years have been somewhat of a slump in training, I still always thought of myself as an athlete. Except I wasn’t.

So I started running and exercising regularly again. I used to be a runner; I figure I can become one again. As mentioned in a previous post, I am signed up for a 5k race in May (the 13th). I am currently searching for a few more races to do over the summer and possibly even a longer race (10k) in the fall. Goals and races are good ways to stay motivated, especially for me. Also, I have a half- or a full marathon on my bucket list (body and knees depending), so if that is ever going to become reality, now is the time to start.
I realize that since this all only started 2 months ago, there is still time to relapse and fall back into a sedentary lifestyle. Still, I am trying to make this a routine that will stick. A change in lifestyle, if you will. Oddly enough, the most important part of this includes taking it easy, not overdoing it. I have had to learn that I am not as strong as I used to be, that I can’t handle the mileage I used to be able do, and that pushing myself too hard will only lead to injuries. Really, I’ve learned that even though I have some good experience from Cross Country and Track in High School, I am really a beginner runner in terms of my physical shape, my knowledge about training and training plans, proper form, nutrition, etc. etc.

So it is a learning process. By putting this on my blog, I now have one more way of staying accountable to my goals. You heard it here first. I am now a runner (again). Please help me stick with it. Come run with me (ok, I’m kind of far away, but when I am home for the summer, go running with me). If you’re a runner, give me tips and encouragement and answer my questions along the way. If you’re anyone else, give me encouragement, ask me about my running, tell me to go get my butt in gear and go for a run.

No comments:

Post a Comment